Personal injury attorneys help recover financial compensation for individuals who have been injured in an accident. The type of accidents they work with can vary widely:
- Car accidents
- Slip and fall accidents
- Bicycle and pedestrian accidents
- Injuries in the workplace
- Nursing home abuse
- Birth injuries
- Medical malpractice
- Defective products
Injuries sustained from these accidents can result in costly medical treatment, lost wages, and pain and suffering. But a personal injury lawyer can help secure fair compensation to cover these things. And, often, you do not pay a personal injury attorney until they win your case. This contingency-fee basis allows those who otherwise could not afford an attorney to receive quality help with their case. Here are a few more advantages to hiring legal help:
Personal Injury Attorneys Know Insurance
Some states have a “no-fault” system for auto accidents. This means each driver’s insurance is responsible for the costs of his or her property damage and personal injuries. There are limits, however, for serious injuries and fatalities. These “thresholds” vary in each state, and if your injuries exceed them, you can seek compensation from the other driver’s insurance.
A personal injury attorney will know these thresholds and help you get fair compensation. New Mexico maintains the “fault-based” system. This means that in the Rio Rancho area, the person who caused the crash is held responsible for the damages.
Other types of injuries require nuanced insurance knowledge as well. A personal injury attorney can help you negotiate with insurance providers and tell you whether you’re getting fair treatment. Your attorney can also advocate on your behalf.
Personal Injury Attorneys Know How to Navigate the Legal Space
Do you know what all you’re entitled to by law? Your personal injury attorney does. An experienced personal injury lawyer knows the laws and has experience dealing with them. This means you’ll have someone on your case who knows what opposition to expect and how to overcome it.
A personal injury attorney can often:
- Give an accurate estimate of damages. Personal injury attorneys understand the long-term effects of injuries. They have experience in different types of injuries and a knowledge of all the factors that are involved.
- Advise whether you should file a lawsuit. Sometimes an attorney’s presence can be enough to get an insurance company to settle fairly. But if that’s not the case, you’ll definitely want an attorney for the litigation process.
- Investigate the scene of the accident. Personal injury attorneys usually have a list of professionals they work with on a regular basis. These people can document evidence, interview witnesses, and provide expert witness opinions. This will help prove you’re not at fault if the cause is being disputed.
- Represent you in court. There are proper procedures and rules that have to be followed in a courtroom. Attorneys are very familiar with these protocols, as well as the varied defenses the defendant’s legal counsel may provide. An experienced personal injury attorney will be able to skillfully prove that the defendant is liable for your injuries.
Personal Injury Attorneys Understand Gray Areas
You don’t know what you don’t know. This is especially true of personal injury cases. There are legal regulations, insurance policies, and usually individuals involved who have conflicting interests. A personal injury lawyer understands what’s normal and what isn’t in these cases. And a skilled attorney can help navigate the loopholes and complexities of your case.
In some cases, if the injured parties insurance company is involved, mediation or arbitration might be needed. This would involve a third-party neutral mediator or arbitrator who would help find a solution out of court. An attorney can help you understand this process and help you argue your case.
Personal Injury Attorneys Help You Stress Less
Personal injury cases are stressful for the injured party. Besides the pain of the injury itself, you may have medical expenses and lost wages. This is a huge emotional burden already. Adding the strain of having to fight for fair compensation is unfair.
A personal injury attorney will relieve a lot of that stress. You won’t have to learn complex legal processes, medical and insurance terminology, or wade through piles of paperwork. Your attorney will be there to guide you through it all.
The high stress that comes with a personal injury can also make it hard to make objective decisions. Your attorney will have the knowledge and experience to give you trustworthy, objective opinions on your case.
How We Can Help
At Sanchez and Piñon, we’re committed to getting you the compensation you deserve. If you’re in the Rio Rancho area and have been injured through no fault of your own, contact us today. You shouldn’t have to fight through this alone. We’re here for you.